Places of Interest
Dhrang Mekan Dada Temple
Sant Mekan Dada it is said was born in Vikram Samvant – 1720. He spent almost whole his life criss-crossing the Rann of Kachchh, doing this humanitarian services. In his late life he established himself in Dhrang, in V.S. 1786.
He spent his whole life in Rann of Kachchh, looking after survivors and people lost in desert and serving them food, water and shelter. His two partners were “Laliyo”, the Donkey and “Motiyo”, the dog. He would load “Laliyo”-donkey with water and food and the “Motiyo” was trained by him to direct the “Laliyo” to travelers lost in great desert of Kachchh. Thus they would provide water, food and direction to the hungry, thirsty and lost travelers and nomads passing through the Rann of Kachchh. He was also a good poet and composed several hymns based on the Hindu philosophy. Today he is worshipped as the re-incarnation of Lakshman by the Ahir community.
Bhadreshwar Jain Temple
Bhadrawati was ruled by King Sidhsen in 449 B.C, who renovated the place. Later it was ruled by The Solanki rulers who were Jains, and they changed the name to Bhadreshwar. Then in 1315, a great famine struck Kachchh, after which the town was renovated by Jagdusha, the Jain merchant and philanthropist.
It is believed to be one of the oldest Jain temples in India, although they have been renovated and rehabilitated from time to time.The temple is said to be first renovated by King Sidhsen of Bhadrawati in 449 B.C. It is said a Jain layman named Devchandra laid the foundation stone of this temple centuries ago. In year 1125, the temple was renovated extensively by Jagdusha.The temples have been destroyed many times due to natural calamities like earthquakes and the chronicles of Mistris of Kachchh, mention that they were the architects and artisans, who renovated temples during the earthquakes of 1819, 1844–45 and 1875.
Kotai Temple (Sun Temple)
Kotai has the remains of an old city and several ruined temples of perhaps the earlier part of the tenth century. The Sun temple, known as Ra Lakha’s and ascribed to Lakha Phulani, facing the west is, without cement, partly built of yellow and partly of red stone. The aisles are covered by groins like the aisles in some chaitya caves ; the nave is roofed the same way as at the Amarnath temple, the central area being covered with massive slabs hollowed out in the centre, in which a pendentive has been inserted. Outside it has a slanting roof divided into four sections of slightly different heights, that next to the spire being the highest, and tho remote end the 1owest. The door of the temple is neatly carved. Over the lintel are Navagraha, the nine patrons of the planets, and the jambs are carefully sculptured. In the entrance hall,mandap, are four pillars with a square block sculptured below the bracket, and six pilasters. The shafts support a plinth, on which stands a block carved with colonnettes at the corners. The faces of the block are sculptured with figures of men and elephants. Of the four-armed figures on the brackets of the column, one is a female and one has a face on the abdomen. In the window recess are pilasters with four-armed figures on the bracket capitals. The pillars and pilasters are all of the Hindu broken-square form. The shrine door is elaborately carved with two rows of figures on the frieze, Ganpati on the lintel, and the jambs richly ornamented.
The Black Hill
The hill Pachchhamai Pir of Kaladungar hill cluster is the highest peak in Kachchh with an elevation of 458m from mean sea level. Geologically the rocks of Kaladungar hills are the oldest in Kachchh with the age range of 190 million years (my). The Kaladungar limestone is one of the most unique in India having chert nodules with numerable brachiopod fossils. The limestone is as hard and black as igneous rocks like basalt.
The rocks of Kaladungar are formed under the deep oceanic condition in the middle of the Jurassic period when the dinosaurs were roaming the continents. The remains of the animals lived in the deep water are found at the highest peaks of the Kaladungar. There are yellow to cream coloured limestones and shale rocks found lying over the dark coloured hard limestone.
Haji Pir Dargah
Hajipir Dargah is located in Kachchh, Gujarat, India. The Dargah is dedicated to a Muslim saint Hajipir. It is believed that he came to the place as a soldier in the army of Shahabuddin Muhammad Ghauri. He settled at Nara after he left the service. He died while saving cows from decoits. He had performed the Hajj so he was known as Haji Pir. He is also known as Zinda Pir or Vali Pir.
The story of Koteshwar begins with Ravana, who won a boon from Lord Shiva for an outstanding display of piety. This boon was the gift of a Shiva linga of great spiritual power, but which Ravana, in his arrogant haste, accidentally dropped and it fell to earth at Koteshwar. To punish Ravana for his carelessness, the linga turned into a thousand identical copies (some versions of the story say ten thousand, some a million; suffice to say it was quite a lot.) Unable to distinguish the original, Ravana grabbed one and departed, leaving the original one here, around which Koteshwar Temple was built.
According to Hindu theology, there are five sacred lakes; collectively called Panch-Sarovar; Mansarovar, Bindu Sarovar, Narayan Sarovar, Pampa Sarovar and Pushkar Sarovar. They are also mentioned in Shrimad Bhagavata Purana. As per legends, one of the holy rivers of India, Sarasvati River had an out let in to sea near present-day Narayan Sarovar and waters of lake were filled with holy waters of River Saraswati, that is why this place was and is still considered as one of the five holy lakes by Hindus.
There are seven stone temples in a paved courtyard of 164 feet by 6212. The temples are approached from the lake by flights of stone steps and surrounded by a strong wall. In 1734, the temples of Lakshminarayan and Trikamray were built in the same style as the Dwarka temples. Then the temples of Adinarayan, Govardhannath, Dwarkanath, and Lakshmiji were constructed. he temple of Trikamray, in style and shape resembling that at Koteshwar is 72 feet long 6812 broad and 61 high, stands on a 5 feet 9 inches high platform, and has three side porches with a large one in the centre, all capped with domes resting on twelve feet high pillars. The central porch is 21 feet square, and each of the side porches 9 feet 9 inches. The doors are plated with silver. In the shrine, on a silver throne, stands a black marble image of Trikamray. Under the idol throne is a black marble figure of Vishnu’s eagle, Garuda, with clasped hands kneeling on one leg. Over the image of Trikamray are forty gold and silver parasols, the offerings of devotees. The other five temples built by Vagheli Mahakunvar form, along with the more lately built temple of Kalyanray, a row of six domes supported by fourteen pillars, and forty-eight pilasters, with carving on the bases, shafts, and capitals. The brackets are scrolled volutes and the side pillars of one dome serve to support the lintel of the next, and the corresponding pillars of the next act similarly for the third dome. The temples at the two ends have screen walls under their domes with doors, but the rest have a common verandah with entrances in the fronts the space on the two sides of each entrance being closed with a screen of wooden lattice. Each of the temples has an inscription. Lakshmiji’s temple is without any special feature. Dwarkanath’s or Ranchhodji’s temple has a small shrine opposite to it with a large image of Garuda, holding a weapon whose point impales a cobra. The third shrine, to Govardhannath, is simple. The fourth, to Adinarayan, has a black stone pavement in the gallery. Opposite it is a small lately built shrine of Gopalji. The last, to Lakshminarayan, has silver-plated doors and an idol throne and canopy of silver. In a line with these five temples is the temple of Kalyanray built in 1828 (Samvat 1885) by Rao Deshalji II. The stone and wood frames of the entrance are richly carved, and the doors are plated with silver in which flowers, fruit, leaves, and creepers are carved with much skill. The canopy of the god stands on a pedestal, and is supported on four silver pillars with fine spiral flutes and richly carved friezes, bases, and shafts. The statue is of polished black marble.
Besides these built temples, the soft sandstone near the fort has at various times been hollowed into shrines and caves. They are known as the Ramgupha, Lakshmangupha, and Sheshgupha caves. From the brittleness of the rock they are of no great size.
Vallabhacharya visited the place during his lifetime as such the site is sacred also for the follower of Pushtimarg.
Two yearly fairs are held here, one in Chaitra (April -May) and the other from the 10th to the 15th of Kartik (November- December), when, from western India, thousands of pilgrims come to perform funeral ceremonies on the bank of the Narayan Sarovar.
MATA NO MADH
Mata no Madh is a village in Lakhpat Taluka of Kachchh district. Mata no Madh Ashapura temple was built in the 14th century by two Karad Vanias, Ajo and Anagor. They were the ministers in the time of King Lakho Phulani. The temple was damaged by the earthquake in 1819. The temple was rebuilt by Sundarji Shivji and Mehta Vallabhaji, two Brahmakshatriya in 1823 (Samvat 1880). The temple is 58 ft. long, 32 ft. wide and 52 ft. tall. The temple was damaged again by the earthquake in 2001 but was repaired again. The image of Ashapura Mata in the shrine is a red-painted stone, about six feet high and six feet broad at the base, narrowing to a point in a shape, with some rough likeness to a human form. It is said to have come from Jashod in Marwar.
Thousands of devotee from Gujarat and other states visit the temple during auspicious days of Chaitra Navaratri and Ashvin Navaratri of which the later hold more significance. Camps and relief facilities are set up around the road leading to Mata no Madh from various part of Gujarat, every year for this pilgrimage.
Narayan Sarovar Wild Life Sanctuary
Narayan Sarovar Sanctuary also popularly known as Narayan Sarovar Wildlife Sanctuary or Narayan Sarovar Chinkara Sanctuary notified in April 1981 and subsequently denotified in 1995 with reduced area, is a unique eco-system near Narayan Sarovar in the Lakhpat taluka of Kachchh district. The desert forest in this sanctuary is said to be the only one of its kind in India. Located in the arid zone, a part of it is a seasonal wetland. It has 15 threatened wildlife species and has desert vegetation comprising thorn and scrub forests. Its biodiversity has some rare animals and birds, and rare flowering plants. Wildlife Institute of India (WII) has identified it as one of the last remaining habitats of the cheetah in India and a possible reintroduction site for the species. The most sighted animal here is the chinkara (population estimated in the range of 1200–1500), which is currently the flagship species of the sanctuary. The sanctuary harbours not only three types of great Indian bustards and lesser florican but is also habitat for the black partridge, several species of herpetofauna, a large number of bird species (terrestrial and aquatic) including 19 identified species of raptors. Other were: grey francolin, Eurasian collared dove, laughing dove, Indian robin, red-vented bulbul, common babbler, house sparrow and plain munia. Greater short-toed lark (Calandrella brachydactyla) was the common migratory bird seen here in large numbers.The birds sighted less frequently, called the ‘specialists’ were ortolan bunting, desert warbler, pied tit, white-browed fantail, lesser spotted eagle, sirkeer malkoha, Eurasian wryneck and yellow-crowned woodpecker. The faunal diversity consists of 14 species of mammals, nine species of reptiles and six species of snakes. Some of the important ones supported by the sanctuary include: chinkara, black buck, caracal, desert cat, pangolin, great Indian bustard, porcupine, blue bull or nilgai (Boselaphus tragocamelus), Indian boar (Sus scrofa), Indian wolf (Canis lupus) mongoose (Herpestes edwardsii), hare, striped hyena (Hyaena hyaena) and the peafowl. The sanctuary is generally made up of natural desert thorn forests and grasslands savannah, desert thorn, tropical euphorbia scrub forest and Salvadora scrub forest, Rann saline scrub and desert dune. In view of the edaphic climax of the forest, the tree height in the sanctuary ranges from 3–5 metres (9.8–16.4 ft). The predominant plant species identified are the gorad and the babul; The invasive species Prosopis juliflora is noted to be spreading in the sanctuary resulting in decrease of grassy and herbaceous patchesThe flowering plants listed in the sanctuary include 252 species, important ones being desi baval, gorad, hermo, ber, pilu, thor, gando baval, gugal, ingorio, kerdo and cariso.
At the far northwest corner of Kachchh, facing north across the Great Rann towards Pakistan, stands Lakhpat, once an important port city but now virtually abandoned for almost 200 years. A place where you can imagine the rise and decline of a great port city, and simultaneously contemplate the vast emptiness of the desert and the sea.
When the 1819 earthquake sent the Indus River on its present course to the west and the Great Rann dried up, so did Lakhpat. It was left a humble town around the ruins of its former grandness, now only with Kori Creek that still flows into the Rann . Though it requires a long journey to reach Lakhpat, the intrepid traveler will be rewarded. The 7 km fort walls, erected in 1801 by Jamadar Fateh Muhammed, are still nearly intact, and offer tremendous views out over the Rann. Due to the extremely clear desert air and remote location, the night sky is spectacular (visit near the new moon for best stargazing) and sunrise or sunset in a landscape of such endless horizons are not to be missed.
Ravechi Mata Temple
There is a temple dedicated to Ravechi Mata on the bank of a large pond, built in 1821 (Samvat 1878) at a cost of £633 (24,000 Kachchh koris). The temple is 30 feet long 17 broad and 54 high with two domed porches, the first 7 feet square and the second 14 feet by 7, and a shrine 14 feet by 13 raised on a platform 44 feet high. In the shrine, smeared with red paint and butter and with five other images at her side, is a large statue of Ravechi Mata and opposite it Naklank or the Horse incarnation standing on three legs on a pillar. The goddess is highly venerated by the people of Vagad region of Kachchh. Out of the temple income about 500 cows are maintained, and travelers are fed daily with milk, curds, and bread. The old temple, a range of finely carved nine-domed shrines with porches built by the Pandavas, is said to have been destroyed by the troops of one of the Babi chiefs. At the corner of the courtyard wall is a memorial stone with an inscription dated 1271 (Samvat 1328)
This Chhari Dhandh is situated near Fulay Village in Nakhtranan Taluka, which is around 80 kms North-West of Bhuj and 30 kms from Nakhatran.
Chhari means salt affected and Dhandh means Shallow wet-lands. This places is a paradise for bird watchers and omithologists, having around 370 bird species and is particularly rich in raports, water fly, waders and larks.
This is a thriving region to come up as an Eco-tourism center in Kachchh
Kanthkot fort is located near Kanthkot village, Bhachau Taluka of Vagad area, Kachchh, Gujarat.Kanthkot fort Built in 8th Century AD, it is located on the top of an isolated rocky hill, it has a 5 km radius. This fort was the capital the Kathis, a Sun worshiping tribe, in 8th century. It was taken from them by the Chawdas. After the Chawdas, the Solankis came and after them the Vaghelas.Mod befriended Vaghela who not only gave Kanthkot but also his daughter in marriage to Mod’s son Sad. Sad lived in Kanthkot and made it his capital. Sad’s son Ful named the fort Kanthadurg.During the reign of Jadejas, Kanthkot was given as an estate to Dedaji, the second son of Rao Raydhan Ratna. In 1816, the British captured Kanthkot and destroyed large parts of the fort before the Kachchh accepted the suzerainty of British in 1819. Although, the Kanthkot remained under Jadeja rulers till independence of India.
Tera Fort was built by one of the Jadeja Chiefs, who was given the estate of Tera during the reign of Deshalji I (1718-1741).Tera Fort was badly damaged in a war that was fought during the reign of Maharao Lakhpatji (ruled 1741-1760). Sumraji Thakore of Tera, the chief of Tera Estate, spoke badly of the Rao of Kachchh. Lakhpatji sent an army to Tera, to subdue the revolt. For the first time in history of Kachchh, artillery power was used in war. This artillery was set up by the famous Ram Singh Malam. The cannon power destroyed most of the fort. The war ended after three months of siege, when Sumraji surrendered and gave a formal apology for his remarks.The walls of fort was damaged in 1819 Rann of Kachchh earthquake which were repaired later.The fort is now one of the tourist attractions of the Kachchh
Kothara Jain Temple
The Jain temple dedicated to Shantinath, the 16th Tirthankara. The temple was constructed in on the 13th day of Magha month in 1861, (V.S. 1918). The temple was built at a cost of £40,000 which was considered the costliest temple in kachchh during that time. For construction of temple one-half was given by Shah Velji Malu and the other in equal shares by Shah Keshavji Nayak , Shivji Nensi and Osval Vanias of Kothara. It was styled after the Jain temple in Ahmedabad, built by Kachchh workmen under the superintendence of Salat Nathu of Sabhrai.The Shantinath statue was formally installed by Acharya Ratnasagarsuri of Achal Gaccha. This temple is also named ‘Kalyan Tunk’ after the writer of the poem ‘Keshavji Nayak’ on the Palitana temples, who was a native of this place. This chief temple is compared to theMeruprabha temple.Mistris of Kachchh are considered main architects of these centuries old beautiful Jain temples
The Jakhs said to were shipwrecked on the Kachchh coast and came ashore at place, now known as Jakhau. Variously described as tall and fair-complected with an advanced culture, their trsaditional number is seventy-two with at least one woman. Their origins are obscure.
The legend associates Jakhs with historical town of Punvaranogadh, the ruins are located about two miles to the north-west of present-day village of Manjal, Kachchh district, Gujarat.
It was built by Rao Lakhpatji in 1761.The chief architect and designer of Aina Mahal was Ram Singh Malam,who was assisted by local builder community (Mistris of Kachchh) in construction. It was constructed with marble walls adorned with gold lace and glass. The walls of the palace are of white marble covered with mirrors separated by gilded ornaments with shades of Venetian glass.
The palace was damaged in the 2001 Gujarat earthquake. However, a portion of the palace which was not so badly damaged has been restored and it houses the museum, displaying the bedroom, music room, court room and other old pieces of arts, paintings, arms, palanquin etc
Purneshwar Temple is an ancient temple estimated to be dated back to 9th or 10th century AD. It is raised on a high platform and is well known for ancient sculptures and images. People especially come to this place to observe and witness the architectural style of the ancient times which is on display here. The most important feature of Purneshwar Temple of Gandhidham is its dexterously carved sculptures and elegantly portrayed images. A high flight of stair leads us to the doorways of the Purneshwar Temple. Highly popular in the Hindus and Jains, this old temple still retaining all its old world grandeur and splendor, sings the sagas of the luminous heritage of the Garvi Gujarat. Raised atop an elevated platform and built in the shape of a ‘Chhatri’ this temple is crowned with an imposing cupola supported by intricately carved pillars.
NANAMO hills near Sukhpar Roha is the 2nd highest pick 1400 feet next to the Kalo Dungar of Kachchh 1459 feet. It has been named as NANAMO as it has now lowered its height since it rose from the ground.
Mundra Port is the largest private port of India located on the north shores of the Gulf of Kachchh near Mundra, Kachchh district, Gujarat. Formerly it was operated by Mundra Port and Special Economic Zone Limited (MPSEZ) owned by Adani Group which later it was expanded into Adani Ports & SEZ Limited (APSEZ) managing several ports.In 2013–2014, Mundra Port has handled 100 million tonnes of cargo in a year becoming the first Indian port to do so. It also became India’s biggest port by cargo handled.
Ambe temple lies in its name Godhra Village (Godhra in Panchmahal district and the Ambe dham Godhra is the two are Different.) Is a small village in the region, so no one knows all Ambe dham. Here Arashpahan Ambe mata temple is built. The Temple Gate, veranda, roof, pillars is Arasa everything. Tiger two brass statues set on the verandah of the house, which immediately draws attention. Mata would be fun to do. Tourists are coming here for more than a servant.
72 Jinalaya (72 Jain Temples) which is located 11 km from Mandvi near the Koday village. This 72 Jinalaya is a Jain Pilgrimage and home to 72 Deris of Lord Mahavir. This beautiful temples are located at Mundra-Mandvi road and spread across appx. 80 acres. Locally it is known as “Bauter Jinalay”. It is also known as “Adishwar Bauter Jinalay Mahatirth”.
Deendayal Port (Kandla Port)
Kandla Port, also known as the Deendayal Port Trust is a seaport in Kachchh District of Gujarat state in western India, near the city of Gandhidham. Located on the Gulf of Kachchh, it is one of major ports on west coast. It is the largest port of India by volume of cargo handled.
Kandla was constructed in the 1950s as the chief seaport serving western India, after the partition of India and Pakistan left the port of Karachi in Pakistan.The Port of Kandla is located on the Gulf of Kachchh on the northwestern coast of India, some 256 nautical miles southeast of the Port of Karachi in Pakistan and over 430 nautical miles north-northwest of the Port of Mumbai (Bombay). It is the largest port of India by volume of cargo handled. Kandla Port Trust, India’s busiest major port in recent years, is gearing to add substantial cargo handling capacity with private sector participation.Kandla Deendayal Port is a a vibrant, world class, multi-cargo port offering services at multiple locations. The Port handled 105.44 MMT of cargo in the year 2016-17
LLDC – Living & Learning Design Centre
The Crafts Museum celebrates the glorious crafts heritage of Kachchh. Right now, the focus is on the hand embroideries of Kachchh, of which there are over forty distinct styles, practised by 12 different communities. All these styles are on display in the current Museum Show entitled The Living Embroideries of Kachchh. The highlight of this show is the collection of large-size embroidery panels created by present-day craftswomen. The technical excellence and creativity displayed in these panels is unsurpassed anywhere in the modern world.
The Crafts Museum with its Hands-on Gallery and Crafts Studios is part of Shrujan’s Living and Learning Design Centre. Located in Ajrakpur, this is a multi-dimensional crafts education and resource centre that is dedicated to preserving and promoting the crafts. It will put the crafts of Kachchh on the world map and strengthen the crafts enterprise so that the craftspeople can earn a prosperous and dignified livelihood.
The “Rakshak van” named after the brave and courageous women of Kachchh who rebuilt the airstrip of Bhuj airport in an overnight’s time. The story of these women dates back to December 8, 1971; this was the time during Indo-Pak war. When Pakistan dropped 14 nepalm bombs on Bhuj region and air strip in Bhuj was completely destroyed. The official took quick decision, that airstrip must be restored by the locals, so the local women of madhapar village, who were the daily wagers were given the task of restoring the airstrip. They completed this task in less than 72 hours, even in that horrible condition of war. They had to take shelter in bunkers when the siren calls; also they covered the strip with cow dung to camouflage the airstrip from the enemy’s plane. These women deserve every bit of respect they are getting.
Ekal Mata Temple
The VAV at that temple place is built by Pandavas (before 5100- 5200 years – which is about the time before the MAHABHARAT time scale and also during the time of destruction of all the Sarasvati Civilisation). Also the region holds the area of GEDI where PANDAVAS stayed during their GUPTa VAaS. And area of the BHIM GUDA where Bhim swigged his first wife HEDAMBA and BHANJDO may be the place of residence of Hedamba
The Port of Jakhau is a fair weather port on the Gulf of Kachchh, Kachchh District, in the state of Gujarat, India. Situated on Godia Creek, and 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) from the village of Jakhau, it provides an anchorage port. The port is partially sheltered from the direct sea-waves, but remains closed during the monsoon season. The port is operated by the Gujarat Maritime Board and renovated in year 2001 in modern way.The nearest railway stations are in naliya Bhuj and Gandhidham, and the nearest airport is in Bhuj Airport. The port boasts of entire gujarat’s fishing community and almost all types of boats.
Roha Fort is one of the many forts of Kachchh, Gujarat.
The fort is located on the periphery of Roha village, in Nakhatrana Taluka of Kachchh. It was the seat of Roha Jagir. One hundred twenty Soomra Rajput princesses sought asylum with Abda (Jagirdar of Abdasa) who died in the battle with Allaudin Khilji. Consequently all the princesses sacrificed their lives and took samadhi here, consequently, the place came to be known as Sumari Roha.Roha Fort is situated about 50 kilometers far away from Bhuj. It covers almost an area of 16 acres and it is connected by main road. Its height is 500 feet from the ground level and 800 feet from the sea level.
Roha was the leading jagir of Kachchh which is also known as ‘Roha Sumari Fort’. About 52 villages are under this fort. Sahebji, the brother of Rao Khengarji – I (1510–1585) set up the Roha village and died in the battle with Raysinhji Zala. Two big tanks were made by his successor Jiyaji and a fort was built by his son Thakore Noganji.
The famous poet of Gujarat, Kalapi, wrote romantic poems at Roha hill because atmosphere of Roha was peaceful and close to the nature with many peacocks and other birds which can be seen here even now.Roha is now a major tourist attraction of Kachchh.
After Rajghat in Delhi, this is the only place in the country which has Gandhi’s ashes. On February 12, 1948, Bhai Pratap, Acharya Kriplani, former royalty of Kachchh and other leaders of the region, performed the immersion ceremony of Gandhi’s ashes at Kandla creek and laid the foundation of Gandhidham town. Some ashes in the urn were kept at the samadhi. Ironically, Gandhi was assassinated on the day Bhai Pratap’s telegram reached Delhi inviting him to lay Gandhidham’s foundation stone. It was on Gandhi’s insistence that the former rulers of Kachchh donated 18,000 acres for families from Sindh who settled here after Partition. Even today there are about 20,000 Sindhi homes in the towns. Adipur, in fact, has been designed on Gandhi’s concept of ‘Sarvodaya’, aiming to bring people from different castes in one locality.
The Samadhi was heavily damaged in the 1998 Cyclone and the 2001 earthquake. The Gandhi Samadhi was renovated then after. Gandhi Samadhi was visited by the country’s first Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru. Other Political leaders including Prime Minister Morarji Desai, BJP national leader LK Advani, Keshubhai Patel, and many other have paid their homage to Mahatma Gandhiji at this place. The town initially known as Sardarganj was created in the early 1950s for the resettlement of the refugees from Sindh (now in Pakistan) in the aftermath of the partition of India. Sardarganj was named as Gandhidham after Mahatma Gandhi, the father of Indian nation.